Friday, December 18, 2009

Creating a Writers Group















I just joined the board of the NWSG. The topic of writers groups just came up. Members have said want to be part of one and the board is trying to see how we can facilitate that.

For a couple days emails were flying around. Everyone had an opinion on what made a good writers group:
• It should be a large group
• It should be no larger than 6 or 7
• It's chemistry, not size, that matters
• Everyone needs to be at the same level in their writing
• Everyone should have the same level of life experience
• It should cover marketing
• It shouldn't cover marketing, but focus on writing

Well, you get the idea. The group was basically describing the elements of successful writers groups they had belonged to. And, it appears, there are as many types of writers groups as there are writers.

(I think we ultimately decided to put together an evening mixer, where writers who are interested in forming a writers group can meet, talk and see what happens.)

My experience
I've been a part of the same writer's group since it began in 1988. We try to meet weekly, and we read our pages out loud and people give constructive feedback.

Today it's a rather tame group. When we started out, we were a radical bunch. We would crash other writers groups, bring in speakers, and go on road trips to conferences. We even started our own agency so we could represent each other and get our work out there (a story for another blog).

Over the years people have come and gone. Many have become produced, published and/or have full time jobs writing. And although we've had our ups and downs — like the time a woman left crying because she was there for complements not critique or when we had to get rid of the original leader — overall it's been a great experience.

I think there are several reasons why our group has been successful:
• There's a positive chemistry. We inspire each other.
• We're willing to try new things.
• We truly want to see the other writers succeed.
• We take time to have retreats, parties, etc., to breath new life into the group (In fact, the picture above is of our writers group at a retreat - minus the guys. Not sure why they couldn't make it.)
• We allow people to become the artists they need to be — even if that's not necessary a writer.
• We try to be honest with each other.
• We re-evaluate the goals of the group and let it evolve.

Life Expectancy
I've been part of other groups that have lasted as little as 1 year to up to 7 or 8 years. Groups are organic things. They change with the people. And like some relationships, they have a certain life expectancy.

One group I belonged too fell apart because the majority of the group became successful writers and didn't need the support anymore to help launch their careers. All writers groups should have such break up.

Final Thought
I could go on about writers groups all day, so I'll make this brief. If you are considering putting a writing group together, just make sure:
• it's a group that respects each other,
• that you all agree on the same goals, and
• you're willing to put in the time.

A writer's group is only as effective as its members. The ones that work are ones that ascribe to the old adage . . . it isn't what the writers group can do for you, but what you can do for your writers group.

Thoughts?
Do you belong to a writers group? I would love to hear how yours works and any insights you may have.

Talk to you later!

6 comments:

Mackenzies Momma said...

I'm not currently part of a writers group, but I haven't been writing much either. If I get the chance to write more I might be interested but I'd have to juggle it into my class schedule and other commitments.

Also I'm not sure if up here in the Valley there are any writers groups, its not exactly a hot spot of writers. Artists we have by the barrel but writers not so much.

Di Mettler said...

I usually check out the libraries when I'm looking for a group. They tend to know if there's one around. What kind of classes are you taking?

tgscript said...

Okay, where was I when you took the picture? Every writer's group needs girls and GUYS. It's always great to get the other sex's perspective.

Di Mettler said...

I totally agree -- the guys make the group whole. But not sure why you didn't make it to this Port Townsend retreat.

Mackenzies Momma said...

So sorry I missed your comment back. This quarter I'm taking English 101 and Intro to Drama. It promises to be fun and adventuresome just because of who the professor is(I've had him before).

Tamara L Kelly said...

I've just started a new writing group and it looks as though it will be fun and helpful. We focus on a specific skill that the group can work on as a whole. Last week was the semi-colon. This week it's the comma. I like it cause it's been forever since we were in school.I realized I had forgotten a few ways in which the semi-colon could be used. It's been a great start.

Post a Comment

Featured Post