Thursday, December 10, 2009

How to Carve out Writing Moments During the Holidays

Is the holiday season crazy busy or what?

I just checked my calendar and I have three days between now and Christmas day that don't include a social event — and that doesn't take into account time needed to buy presents, mail christmas cards, decorate . . . watch Christmas movies. When is a person supposed to find time to write?

It's tempting to say, "I'll get back to it in January." Just like it's tempting to eat those extra Christmas cookies. But we have to be strong. And creative. If we don't have the time, we have to make it.

Here are a few of my tricks for carving out time. If you have any others, please share.

1. Get there early. I try to show up at lunches or dinners at least a half hour early. I use that time to peacefully sit at the table with a cup of coffee working on my manuscript. Yesterday it worked out GREAT! I got there early, and the person I was meeting was late, and I had over an hour to write.

2. Make a writing date. Find another writer and set up writing dates during the season. This can be as simple as meeting at the library with laptops. However, it's important to get these on the calendar as soon as possible.

3. Waiting in line. I spent 20 minutes waiting in line at the post office yesterday. Thankfully, I had my notebook with me so I could work on my story. It also made the wait less boring.

4. Plan writing into shopping. Take your writing with you to the mall. After you've been shopping for a couple hours, head to a coffee shop and take a break and write for an hour before going back at it. You'll give your feet a break, and you'll get some words on the page as well as gifts in your bags.

5. Get up a little earlier. If you're not too sleep deprived already, you might want to set your alarm clock for a hour earlier during the holiday season. Write when you're fresh and before you're wiped out by all the activities.

Hopefully these are a little help during the season. Keep writing!

ho, ho, ho

di

2 comments:

still dancing said...

Great ideas. I do use "busy" excuses, but you've inspired me to keep at it.

Tamara L Kelly said...

Love the make a date idea. Steve, Donna, and I are meeting again and commenting on each other's writings. I have to agree that it's difficult to keep it going during this time of year. Hope all's well with you!

Post a Comment

Featured Post