Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Awakening the Writer Within

I'm teaching a creative writing course at Pierce College this quarter. It's called Awakening the Writer Within and tonight is the first class. (There's still room if you want to jump in). 

I love teaching this class. It's the class I always wanted to take but could never find.  We do timed writing exercises on everything from structure to character. The idea is to push the creative envelope in a safe environment. 

We read our work aloud and the students explain what's working -- versus what's not.  I found when I started writing I never could get a handle on what my strengths were because other writers were too busy telling me where I was going wrong. (It was probably easier for them that way, since my pros were held together with mistakes.) And that harsh critique sometimes kept me from trying new things and stepping outside the box. We all need a little place to fly.  

So for anyone who has their ego beaten to a pulp by that student critic, or who just wants to try something new, this class if for you.

If you can't attend the class, I'm going to try to keep the assignments posted on my website, www.spilledinkstudio.com.  Come join the fun. 

di 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post