Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Little Help from my Facebook Friends


Trying to develop three-dimensional characters? Log onto Facebook.
Each morning I scan through the latest comments.

I love my friends, but most would make boring fictional characters. From what I can tell about 75% are "getting ready to do some laundry", "exhausted after work" or "looking forward to the weekend".

Some, however, are so interesting that I'm logging into find out "what's next".

What am I tuning into?
• One friend has a baby bat in her freezer. So far, I can't tell why it's in there. I'm not sure I want to know, but the suspense is killing me.

• One friend is cooking different recipes from the old meat she's found deep in the bowls of her freezer. It ranges from 3-year-old prime rib to 5-year-old ground turkey. Then she posts pictures of the mouth-watering meals. I'm thinking maybe there's a book in this, like Olivia's Old Meat.

• Another friend is spending three weeks in Cuba where she's enjoying lots of mojitos and salsa dancing . . . I assume with swarthy Cuban hotties.

Am I going to use some of these details for future characters? OF COURSE!! You don't create characters in a vacuum. They're an amalgam of your experiences and your friends' experiences and Facebook is like a mini database.

OK, I'm off to Facebook to beef up my characters.

di

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post