Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Creating Your Writing Space

We're in the final stages of building a new home and it's hard work but a dream come true.

Besides the flooring, counter tops, paint colors and the 100 other details that go into the house, I'm also focussing on creating a creative spot to write.

Physical
Creating the physical spot is the easy part. I chose the bonus room over the garage for my writing area -- which I'll be painting today. It looks over trees tops and I couldn't ask for a more beautiful location.

I also purchased an AWESOME bathtub, which the IRS should let me take off on my taxes because I spend so much time in there writing -- especially first drafts.

Mental
Creating a physical location is easy. When you get down to it, you can take your pen and paper or laptop anywhere. What takes work is preparing that mental spot.

I've been spending the last couple months really meditating and preparing myself for this move. This the next big chapter of my life and I want writing to be front and center. When I step into this house, I want to (no I will ) experience that excitement of a fresh start. I'm already looking forward to turning out fresh pages a new room.

Today
This is a short blog because I'm running out to the new house now to try to finish painting, put in a dog fence and oversee the driveway. But while I'm doing this, I'm going to be spending time visualizing the successful and happy writer that's going to live in this fabulous place.

di


5 comments:

Mackenzies Momma said...

Good luck out at the new house! You'll have to share some pictures if you can of the new space would love to see it.

Di Mettler said...

Thanks! The driveway and rockery were put in today, so the outside looks complete. The inside looks like a construction nightmare. :-)

Mackenzies Momma said...

Yay! for progress. Its always good to feel like you've accomplished something even if its only a drop in the theoretical bucket. :)

still dancing said...

Beautiful house! My space is about a 4X8 ft corner of our bonus room. It, too, has a beautiful view. I think that's important for those times when you need to gaze off and think.

Enjoy!!

Unknown said...

Hi,

Saw your post on January 27th. We would like to buy a link from the phrase "dog fence" on that post that links to our site. We are starting an online electric dog fence company. We are happy to pay upfront. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks,
Misty
misty@dogfencediy.com
www.dogfencediy.com
www.puppy-dogs.com

Post a Comment

Featured Post