Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sneaking up on Your Characters

Hi,

I've read about all kinds of reasons writer's have writer's block. For me, it's because I don't know my main characters well enough. The better I know the characters the easier the story flows.  

When I need mind meld with a character, I'm not one of those who likes to fill out those character charts. I'd rather get to know them a little more personally.  Here are a few techniques I've used. 

Sneak Into Their House
• I write a scene where I sneak into their house, open a drawer in their kitchen, bedroom or bathroom, and describe what I find.  

The Interview/Interrogation 
•  I write a scene where I'm interviewing them for a story, and ask them a variety of questions. If they aren't forthcoming, the interview turns into a interrogation.

Ask Friends and Relatives
• I'll ask the character's friends and relatives to tell me something no one else would know about my main character.

These are a few exercises that work for me because I not only learn more about the character in question, but become more involved in the story as well. 

If you have other techniques or tips, let me know. You can never have too many ways to eliminate writer's block.

di

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post