Monday, June 8, 2009

25th Anniversary of Ghostubusters

Hi,

June 8th has been circled on my calendar for quite a while. It's the 25th Anniversary of the release of Ghostbusters — a defining day in my writing life.

In 1984 I knew I wanted to write scripts, but I hadn't started yet. Sitting in the theater, watching Ghostbusters as it headed toward the climax, I was thinking, "This is a GREAT movie. It's funny, the story's cool, the characters are awesome, but there's no way they're going to be able to pull of a great climax. How can they top what we've already seen?" 

That's when the a 60-foot Stay Puft Marshmallow Man appeared. I literally jumped out of my chair and cheered. It was perfect.  To this day, I have a small Stay Puft Marshmallow man on my desk to remind me what I'm supposed to achieve in the third act. 

It's been a long haul since 1984, but my first movie is probably going to be shot late this summer. I owe a debt of gratitude to a lot of movies, but especially Ghostbusters.  

Do you have a life-changing movie?  Would love to hear your story.

di


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post