Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Am I a Writer?

Recently several writers have told  me they would consider themselves “real” writers when they were published (or produced).

This is dangerous thinking because publishing is out of your control. And who wants to wait that long to call themselves a writer? 

Sure, publishing should be a goal, but it shouldn’t define you. I’ve talked to a lot of agents and publishers over the years. Each one has told tales of those great books that made their way to the shelves, but they also told tales of fabulous books that sadly were never published.

It’s just my humble opinion, but I believe it's healthier to define yourself as a writer that is working toward publication (or production). One who is dedicated to the craft, developing her skills and telling stories. 

Agree? I'd love to hear your thoughts.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post