Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Getting Your Screen Credit

I'd heard about writers having their screen credits arbitrated by the WGA. I imagined it was a last resort between writers and producers, complete with huge drama and big dollars hanging in the balance.

No Drama or Dollars
Now that I challenged my shared credit and started the process to have it reviewed by the WGA, I find out my expectations were WAY off. First of all, there was zero drama. A producer sent around a notice of how they intended to post the credits and I could agree or disagree.

I called the WGA to find out how to contest. A woman there said, "It's easy. Just email me and tell me you want full credit and we'll get the process started." It was all very common place for everyone but me, who was stressing like crazy.

And as far as the big dollars . . . I wish. I know writers where getting sole credit instead of shared credit has meant the difference between receiving residuals in the amount of $500,000 and $250,000, but unfortunately that's not my scenario. If I get enough money down the road to pay for car tabs, I'll be smiling big.

Getting it Right
I just want to get it right. I read the final shooting script and more than 50% of my original script is still there. I'd like full credit, in part because it seems like it may make getting future assignments easier, but mostly because it just seems fair.

Of course, now I'm stressing because I'm going to have to put together writer's statement explaining why I think I deserve full credit. When I asked the woman at the WGA how detailed these statements are, she said she's read anything from two lines to 15 pages. Her advice, "15 pages seems a little long, but some writers are wordy".

I'm sure once I write the statement and turn it in, it will be less eventful than I'm imagining. I'll get a form letter that reads "Received", or something equally as exciting, and all this sweat will be for nothing.

Until then, I've decided that this imagined stress is an excellent reason to go out and buy a nice bottle of wine to sooth my nerves.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post