Friday, October 2, 2009

Saying Good Bye to Characters

Just got the shooting script of Growing the Big One. For the first time I got to read the changes made to my script since I handed it over. I think I might need a stiff drink or two.

I've been a professional writer for over a decade — writing for a variety of magazines and companies. I know the client writing the check has the final say, so it's dangerous to attach your ego to words that can be (and often are) drastically altered.

I pride myself on being able to shrug off edits with the best of them — it's just part of the business of commercial writing. So why can't I shrug off these edits as easily?

But it's my story
I've always known screenwriting is commercial writing. It's just that this time the client is a studio and/or producer paying me instead of a publisher or corporation.

I knew while I was writing that first draft that if I was profoundly lucky and someone picked up my story, it would lead to story edits.

So, again, why can't I shrug off these edits as easily?

Saying Good-bye
This may sound odd, but I think it's because I had to say good-bye to some people I cared about. Several of the characters I had crafted, loved and lived with for months as I wrote disappeared or were combined with other characters. It's like having someone you're close to vanish into thin air.

I've listened to other writers lament over the changes made to their stories and how their characters have been destroyed. I feel for their pain, but although edits aren't the easiest thing to read, I'm not quite as worked up as some.

Saying Hello
Why? Because I'm a writer! I can write another story and I can populate it with characters I've lost.

Oh sure, they may have a different hair color, be a little older or younger, or hold a different job, but I'll know who they are. They're my buddies — characters too good to be deleted.

We writers may not have the final say when it comes to editing, but we definitely have the power to resurrect.

5 comments:

bernadette joolen, belletrist said...

you're very brave...and positive! but, what a fascinating experience! hope i have the same one day.=)

Di Mettler said...

If I can do it, anyone can!!

still dancing said...

Here's to the next incarnation of your buddies. I look forward to meeting them.

Tamara said...

I think living with your characters over months or even years is a bigtime intimate experience. You open your heart to them and they to you. You breathe life into them ... and somethimes they do the same for you. I guess I'm lucky with my story ... even though most my "girls" have passed on...they are real. I've met them, laughed with them, been mentored by them ... and ended up loving them. No matter how much they are re-written ... the real gals will always still be there with me.

I talked to the historian Doris Kearns Goodwin about this stuff ... how close a writer feels to her characters and she felt the same way. They became so very real to her.

Mackenzies Momma said...

I recently attended a convention where Tanya Huff was appearing. She had a very interesting take on the process of characters going from print to screen(as her characters started out in novels).

She said that she viewed the characters in her stories as her children. However the versions that appear on screen are more like her grandchildren. That they come from what you created(in this case characters) but are just different versions of them. There was more to it than that, but I can't recall off the top of my head.

Post a Comment

Featured Post