Friday, October 9, 2009

You're Getting Better All the Time

With each script, book, essay or short story we improve. Unfortunately, it’s hard to tell when you’re knee deep in words and working on character motivation.

Also, we’re hardly objective about our writing. When we look at it, we tend to see the blemishes versus the brilliance. But you just have to have faith. You are constantly evolving and improving. Like the Beatles song, Getting Better . . . it’s getting better all the time!

Finding Proof

You say you need proof? Well, you could ask your friends and other writers, but even if they told you your work was improving, you probably wouldn’t believe them.

I look to other artists work.

My husband, for example, started making these rather simple totem dolls that over the past few years have evolved into much more complex sculptures. Each work builds on the next and it’s motivates me to see the gradual transformation.

My artist friend down the street, Sharman Owings, paints a small painting each day. Each day she just keeps getting better and better. Watching her paintings evolve is truly inspiring and lets me know the same things are taking place in my work, even if I can’t see it as easily.

We’re Getting Better

It might be hard to see, but have faith. With each new work you’re gaining more insight and skills. Trust me . . . We’re Getting Better All the Time!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post