Friday, November 13, 2009

Are You Compelled to Write?

In the last several months I've heard no less than 4 agents, 3 publishers, 1 manager and 5 producers say that they are looking for for writers who are "compelled to write".

What they mean by this — I think — is that they're looking for writers who are more driven by the act of writing than they are by the desire for a big check. They're looking for the writer who (I quote), "just keeps churning it out."

The manager even said, "I don't want to represent the writer who just writes one script a year."

Compelled or Crazy?
The phrase "compelled to write" bothers me partly because it makes me think of some wild-eyed, crazy person with their desk overflowing with manuscripts . . . and also because I'm not compelled to write.

The writing process is hard. There are about a million things I find more enjoyable than sitting in front of my laptop trying to fix a scene or figure out why my subplot isn't working. It's mental boot camp! Half the time I'm wondering, "Why am I doing this again?"

What I DO like is getting a response from readers.

Storyteller
What drives you to write? I'm curious, and would love to hear.

I'm not compelled to write, but compelled to tell stories. No, let me change that. I'm compelled to have my stories HEARD — to bring something to the reader that matters. Maybe that's what the industry folks are talking about too, but that's not quite the vibe I get.

Stories are a conversation. If no one reads my story, it's like talking on the phone with no one on the other end. Or telling joke without someone there to laugh. It seems pointless.

I don't need the big check, but I do need a minimal audience. Heck, one person will do.

Gentle Reader
Stephen King, one of the most prolific (dare I say compelled) writers out there, talks about the gentle reader and taking them by the hand through the story. That's a great image and one that helps when the writing gets tough.

But I have to wonder if Stephen King would have been such a prolific writer if no audience had shown up. Would he have stopped talking to a non-existent crowd or would all those novels be filling up his closets?

Your thoughts?

Crazy writer?
Sorry for rambling. I guess I just heard "compelled to write" one to many times and snapped.

Keep writing. I know your readers are waiting.

di

2 comments:

Tamara said...

I've thought about this many times - what drives me to write? I've pondered all the different reasons. Yes, I do love the act of putting pen to paper / fingers to keyboard. I love that moment when I'm writing and it all just flows beyond comprehension and it is divine. Then there's getting recognition - that is definitely in the mix and I do want to share what I've written with others.

But, in the end, it is always the fact that I want to take others to a place where they can feel. I want my writing to open up their heart even if it's just a tiny little crack. I want to provide a moment that affects their life. I want my story to open the door to their own life story.

I'm with you, I'm not compelled to write. But, I am compelled to connect with others on an intimate level through writing. To open up the heart.

Tami

Di Mettler said...

You said it better than me!! :-)

Post a Comment

Featured Post