Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Movies versus Novels

I just saw a rough cut of my movie, Growing the Big One. I still call it "my movie", but at this point, there's not a lot of "me" left.

I may have come up with the story, written the script, and written rewrites of the script, but the final product is far from mine. Lots of people have been involved — actors, directors, producers, and even other writers.

It's a lot different story than I imagined at the start. I might not like all the changes, but it's also a lot more "produced" than it was on my laptop.

I'd always heard that if you want more control, then write novels. It's true. But you say, "I really like to write movies and see my story on a screen." I can't argue that.

Sometimes it's hard to decide. Here's my short Movie Versus Novel list for what it's worth.

Movie

Novel

Control of story

Maybe some if you direct & product


Quite a bit from start to finish

Money

Better than a book


Not a lot of rich novelists

Ownership

They own it

You own it


Union

WGA


You’re on your own

Respect

Not much – you’re at the bottom of the Hollywood food chain


Quite a bit

Viewing

3D & in living color – very cool


Read it

Breaking In

DAMN HARD

DAMN HARD


It's hardly an exhaustive list, but it covers some of the highlights. If you think I've missed some important ones, please share. Writing is hard work, and it's just a bit easier if you pick the right medium.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Mackenzies Momma said...

I was curious about the differences so thanks for the breakdown. As a newly minted English major it is really nice to have an insight into how some of this all works.

Di Mettler said...

Glad I could help! :-)

Post a Comment

Featured Post