Monday, August 24, 2009

You know You’re Procrastination When . . .


I sat down last night to write the final, action-acted scenes of my script. In my head they were cool, funny and exciting. I could even see a shirtless Ryan Reynolds playing the lead (OK, I can always see a shirtless Ryan Reynolds playing the lead).

Unfortunately, I knew some of the "cool/funny/exciting" in my head probably wouldn't translate to paper, so I procrastinated.

I'm a professional procrastinator, but last night I hit a new low — I elected to change the cat box instead of writing the ending. I mentally regrouped as I scooped. No matter how my ending turned out, it had to be more satisfying than cleaning a cat box.

Let's face it, it's not like I had procrastinated by helping out at a food bank or volunteering at Habitat for Humanity. This was a stupid cat box, and it wasn't even that dirty. I had to really hunt.

My coaching teacher says you’re supposed to swap your negative thoughts with positive ones (cognitive therapy I think it’s called). He has these cool examples like, "Replace 'I don’t think my ending with be worthy,' with 'I will write a entertaining and satisfying ending.'”

In reality, my thoughts aren’t as glamorous. But he’ll be proud that today I’m swapping . . .

“The cat box needs changing,” with “Go write that *$(#*!!@ ending!”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post