Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Capturing a Details

Because I want my scenes to be more detail rich, I'm trying to stop on occasion and take in what's around me. (I probably should have already been doing this for my mental health, but what can I say?)

Hardware Store
Today I was waiting to pick up some paint and looked around the hardware store. It was amazing — how could I have missed all this?

It's a tiny hardware store, the type you used to go to before the Home Depots and Lowes. The employees are friendly and know your name, and there's a popcorn machine next to the checkout counter where you can always get a free bag. Not to mention it makes the place smell great!

Piano Player
Today was the day the little old lady comes in and play piano for three hours. Don't ask me what this has to do with hardware, but the lady was pounding out the tunes. She has a bit of the palsy, so the songs have an interesting rhythm, but that just adds to overall effect.

There were people there buying shovels and picking up cement that I went to school with, all while the lady played You are My Sunshine, swaying back and forth. There was a tip jar by the piano and I noticed she'd only gotten a couple bucks, so I threw another one in.

Over the piano I saw these old pictures of the town — the first tree cut, the old mill, and some guys standing on an enormous tree, which I believe they cut down with a hand saw. People were obviously made of stronger stuff back then.

Pictures and Popcorn
The pictures were hard to make out, not because they were old, but because someone had put their kid's football trophy up there.

There was a new bench sent out by the counter. It says it was made with lumber donated by the store and it's going to be auctioned off for the senior surprise this June. It also has the dates you're supposed to show up and bid.

This stopping and looking is pretty cool. I did it all while eating popcorn. I'm going to have to do it more often.

di

1 comments:

Mackenzies Momma said...

You know another really good place to hang out (if you have a small one. not a large one) is the feed store. The cast of characters that flow through there and the details (the smell of the feed, the various animals that traipse through, this time of year the peeping of the cage upon cage upon cage of the chicks) are amazing.

The one I'm doing again this year is Tulip Festival. Though I'm going during the week (its a 15 minute drive from my house to the fields) so as to avoid the crowds and crowds and crowds of tourist type people. Have you been to it recently?

Post a Comment

Featured Post