Monday, March 1, 2010

The Create a Character Challenge

Just got back from a conference in Oregon. It wasn't writing related, but fun.

I found myself jotting down different characters or pieces of characters I could use for stories. Like . . .

• the cute Canadian guy from Quebec, who had a German wife. What language they spoke I wasn't sure, but he enjoyed fishing for Pike and and hockey.

• There was the guy who had completed a industry documentary, but he was also a former baseball player and was pitching reality TV ideas in LA. He was also a big fan of romantic comedies.

• There was the professional chainsaw carver that looked like a young surfer, with his sun glasses fluid movements. He'd actually trained as a carver and was doing spectacular carvings, like sea turtles swimming in coral.

Character Journal
I've always jotted these types of things down in my journal, but now I'm thinking of starting just a "character" journal. I'm challenging myself to a character a day for a year. Not a lot of work, just quick, minor character sketches, some cool details, or whatever makes sense.

The Challenge
Want to take it with me? I know, you're saying, "But I won't meet 365 this year."

Don't worry. On those days you don't have a new person, you can use a past friend or relative. That's just a good, because I think we forget how colorful some of our friends are.

Are you with me? Hope so. And also hoping you'll share some of the extra special characters you come across.

Happy writing!


2 comments:

Mackenzies Momma said...

Oooh sounds like a great challenge. I think I'll join you in it. I also think I finally found a use for my day planner ;)

I'll be curious to see what I come up with as by nature I tend to be a gregarious person. I'm that person you're standing in line with at an event and by the time the event is over you've had an hour long conversation without realizing it.

Di Mettler said...

I like standing in line with people like you! :-) Great idea on the day planner. I'm pulling mine out.

Post a Comment

Featured Post