Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Legally Blonde from film to stage

Saw Legally Blonde last night at the 5th Avenue Theater ins Seattle. I enjoyed it, although I was little distracted as I watched humorous scenes from the movie turned into big, flashy show tunes. It was a little like watching a movie made from one of your favorite books. You're extremely conscious of the adaptation.

But it was fun and I'd recommend it — especially if you're a fan of musicals and Legally Blonde.

This is the second time this season that a musical was adapted from a movie — the other being Catch Me if You Can. Not one I would have ever even thought to adapt into a musical, but it worked.

Be a Little Creative
As much as I liked both of those movies and musicals, I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed by the lack of creativity out there. It's bad enough to watch all the sequels at the movie theater. But now we get to watch remakes at the theater?

As writers we need to show them how it's done. Grab your pen, pencil or keyboard and knock out those novels, musicals and scripts. Lets show them how to be creative.

I definitely don't want to see Avatar the Musical.

3 comments:

Mackenzies Momma said...

I haven't been to the theater in a while but I'd seen ads for Legally Blonde. I've also seen ads for "Shrek" the stage show.

There are just somethings that wouldn't transfer well I would think, but if they can pull it off...I don't know what to say(well aside from kudos).

Oh and I wanted to share with you a unique opportunity I had yesterday- the Supreme Court was visiting my college, and I was afforded the opportunity to attend a luncheon with the Justices. It was really really neat. Though I felt severely under-dressed (I hadn't planned on going, and found myself with a very last minute invite so was in 'farm' clothes)

Di Mettler said...

What a great lunch opportunity. However, i can totally relate to the farm clothes. :-)

I'm at conference right now feeling a bit self conscience because I don't have any pants that don't have paint on them (from finishing our place). Luckily, I'm at a logger's conference so I don't think they've noticed.

Mackenzies Momma said...

Yeah, I doubt loggers noticed. However I'm pretty sure the other people at my table noticed my farm clothes (considering they were all dressed to the nines and I waltz in looking like I'd spent the morning in a barn).

Though it was really interesting (and enlightening) to have lunch with the justices (I got to sit with Justice Alexander who is 22 months from his retirement date).

Post a Comment

Featured Post