Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Writers Need Books

We're in the middle of finishing a new house and living under a nice roof, with an office, lots of boxes and a bed. We are quickly finishing floors, installing cabinets, hanging doors, painting, etc., etc., etc.

Dying for Basics
It's dusty and I'm dying to do a load of laundry. The washer and dryer are sitting in the middle of the laundry room waiting to wash clothes if only someone would come hook them up. But that comes after the counters on Friday.

I'm also dying to hang up my clothes, which are all in garbage bags sitting in my soon-to-be cool closet. I've found my sweaters, blouses, old coats and shoes. Have not found the bag with socks, underwear. (Foresee a trip to Fred Meyer in my future.)

Dying for Books
But you know what I'm really dying for — BOOKS!! The books I was reading when we packed were: Twitter for Dummies, the Donner Party expedition, and the Stephen King book, Under the Dome. Now I can't find them. My guess is they're with my underwear.

It's stressing me out. All the characters in the books are in limbo. The Donners are three-quarters of the way through their journey, stuck there until I can read more. The town folk in Stephen King's novel have just realized they are trapped and starting to panic. I need to rescue them!

Need to Read
I love reading and wish I liked to read more on a computer screen, but after working all day on one, my eyes are begging for a break. So, I prop my paper books up on my stair machine and peddle away as my characters struggle through their journeys. Right now though, I'm just peddling.

I had no idea how much I needed to read. I guess we writers like to surround ourselves in stories and words because that's a world we feel comfortable in. I'm off to Borders to buy some books.

di

3 comments:

Mackenzies Momma said...

I get what you mean. I was working my butt off all through January with my big event and had nary a moment to read. Then yesterday I picked up a book and it was like stepping back into my comfort zone. I am kind of hoping next week to get a lot of reading done since I'll be laid up with my wisdom teeth coming out.

Di Mettler said...

Oh, so sorry about the wisdom teeth. Had them out a few years ago. The first evening is rough, but after that, enjoy some great reading time.

Mackenzies Momma said...

Yeah I'm not looking forward to the first night but I hear they are giving me the *good* drugs at least ;)

Then I plan to settle in for a long weekend with my bag o' books :D

Post a Comment

Featured Post