Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Glamorous Life of Writing

When I was younger, I had this image of writers. It was a glamorous life. They wrote amazing things when they were inspired, made loads of dough and hung out with cool people.

Well, I do hang with cool people, but at the moment that's the only thing glamorous about my life.

The unglamorous side of writing
I'll give you the highlights of the week so far:
• Moved into my office before the plumber finished —NEVER do this. Now the plumber is missing in action and I'm running back and forth to my neighbors (luckily my parents) to use the restroom. I'm also planning terrible things to do to the plumber.

• Invested in barn boots. Since the move, I'm helping my folks with farm chores, which require early morning walks to the barn through a substantial amount of mud and cow pies. My plastic garden clogs weren't keeping out the muck, so I purchased knee-high barn boots.

After using them, they were filthy so I left them outside. Last night it rained and then froze, which I discovered when I tried to put them on.

• My latest assignment is a "manure" article. Yes, it's a theme this week. I'm writing not about what inspires me, but about manure safety equipment (very cool actually) that alerts professional manure pumpers when they are pumping out manure and the hydrogen sulphate levels get too high.

• Flooring is being put in and the dust is extreme. As I write, the dust is settling down on me and my computer, probably destroying my computer and making me look prematurely gray. Will have to schedule a shower with my next toilet run.

There you have it. A not-too-glamorous-writing-life. Even so, I'd still never give up the writing gig.

di

3 comments:

Mackenzies Momma said...

Barn boots are always a good investment when working around *any* kind of mud. I need to get a new pair as I accidentally ruined my last pair by stepping on a T-post and poking a hole in the bottom.

Good luck with the plumber and the flooring dust. I'm going back to bed (the wisdom teeth came out today...and I'm on all sorts of *good* drugs ;) )

Di Mettler said...

I was thinking about you and your teeth all day. Hope the recovery is quick. Sounds like the drugs are great though. That always helps! :-)

Mackenzies Momma said...

Yeah I'm hoping too as its end of day 1, and I'm already running out of cheesy movies and shows to watch.

Oh well at least I have 24 books to finish this weekend ;)

Post a Comment

Featured Post